SHIFT festival is a 5-day camping-based gathering in the ethos of TTITD. We aim to create a culture of fun and appreciation for art, music, and self-expression, while stressing the importance of taking care of oneself while in nature.
- Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate
- Be yourself! Express! Share! Art!
- Help your neighbors. Ask if they need help. Ask them if you need help.
- Be kind to each other.
- No vendors/food sales
- No financial sponsorships
- Ask before touching. Consent is mandatory.
- Consent is freely given, mutual, revocable, enthusiastic, mandatory, and sexy!
- Practice consent by being a conscious bystander.
- If you see someone who looks uncomfortable or in a potentially hazardous situation, check in on them! If a situation seems like too much to handle alone, get a friend or notify staff or a Grass Guardian.
- Sobriety is required for full consent.
- Discrimination isn’t cute! Stand up against sexism, racism, transphobia, and homophobia! We love you all <3
- Public Displays of Affection: In the spirit of consent, please remember that SHIFT is an all-ages event, and we want people to feel comfortable and safe to express themselves and enjoy their surroundings. If you plan to express your affections past a PG-13 level, please take it somewhere where you have explicit consent to do so (i.e. a private space). The beach, a theme camp’s bar, and the dance floor are not appropriate locations for engaging in acts of lovemaking. Please use discretion and take the consensual Rated R fun back to your camp.
There will be NO ticket sales at gate. You WILL be turned away.
- SHIFT is an all-ages event and everyone must have a ticket and wristband.
- Kids 12 and under are free, with adult supervision at all times. You must purchase a free 12 and under ticket online.
- Kids 13 and over require a ticket.
- Kids 0-16 welcome with adult supervision at all times
- Yes, kids must be supervised, especially at the beach!
- Want tips on how to have a great time bringing your kid to SHIFT? Read this Parents Guide written by festie parents in our community! – Parents Guide.
What to Know
- Fire Safety: SHIFT is held in a desert in July!
- DO NOT throw cigarettes out of your window on your way to the event. Smokers– be ready to ash your cigarettes inside your vehicle!
- No open flame, no wood burning
- Camp stoves are OK if elevated at least 3 ft from the ground (as well as inside RVs, campers, and trailers – but not inside tents!)
- Drive only on mowed areas; do not drive off designated lanes.
- Do not idle your vehicle at all!
- All smoking must be in designated smoking areas only.
- Please register all propane-based art. Fill out this application.
- For info on fire spinning, please see below.
- There is a beach! But remember– swimming in the dark or while intoxicated is dangerous; Be careful and be smart. Do not swim at night.
- Bring bug repellent; essential oils work great!
- The space is high desert (BIG and FLAT with some sparse shade)
- Bring shade! Get creative!
- Look out for ticks, ants, snakes, and leeches
- Wear layers – it gets cold at night
- Stake it down – there’s a nice breeze in the afternoon
- Bandanas/face masks! Your feet will surely kick up some dust on the dance floor
- Camping Options: Walk-in camping is included in your ticket price. If you’d like to car camp, please purchase an Car/RV camping pass from the Tickets page.
- If you elect to “walk-in” camp, you’ll be able to drive up to unload your belongings, then swiftly move your car to the nearby parking area before setting up camp.
- RVs and car camping will be interspersed with tent camping.
- There will be a “quiet camping” area at the furthest camping site from the main event field. But FYI, it may not be completely quiet.
- Trash/Recycling: There is no trash collection onsite.
- Leave No Trace! Pack it in, pack it out. Bring extra trash bags. Pick up MOOP: “matter out of place”
- Clean up after yourself! Heck, be a good neighbor and clean up after others too!
- Phones: There is some cell phone reception, but always print or screenshot tickets and directions before you leave home.
- Photography: Please ask before taking a picture and practice your best judgement when sharing photos publicly.
- Drones: All drones must be registered with SHIFT or you will not be allowed to fly. Email [email protected] for more info.
- Official Photo/Video: We are hiring several professional photographers, videographers, and drone operators to capture the magic of SHIFT for us all to enjoy for years to come. You will recognize them by their SHIFT name badge.
- Supplies: There aren’t any places to get supplies close by! Pack as if you are not going to leave the festival site. Get your last-minute supplies in The Dalles, about an hour from the event.
- Closest gas is Biggs Junction, 30-40 miles from site.
- Bring all of your prescription medications, including epipen, and a full first aid kit. Nearest med facilities are in The Dalles, an hour away.
- Water: You must bring enough for you to drink and clean with.
- That’s at least two gallons of water per person per day; more if you plan to bathe yourself.
- Bring more than you’ll need. The dry, hot breeze will wick away moisture just as it does in Black Rock City. Stay hydrated, hippies!
- Ice: New this year- We plan to sell ice on-site. Please arrive with more than a day’s worth of ice. Ice will be sold Thursday-Sunday from 12-4pm!
What to Bring
- Food and dishes/cup/utensils/cooking implements/coolers/ice
- Shade (Tectonic will have a few shady spots, but there are very few trees/bushes; bring a pop-up or canopy for your camp, a big beach umbrella for chillin’ near the water — get creative!)
- Shelter (Tent, yurt, etc)
- Clothes – lots of layers! (it gets cold at night)
- Sun protection gear/Sunscreen/Aloe
- Bug repellent — go natural!
- Headlamp & body lighting
- Toiletries & medications
- Towels & picnic blankets
- Pool toys! Beach umbrellas!
- Sturdy trash bags (Leave no trace!)
- Extra stuff/gifts/resources/talents/instruments/toys to share
- …anything else you need to take care of yourself for five days
What to Leave at Home
- Pets (they wouldn’t like the heat anyway)
- Fireworks/open flame
- Stuff to sell
- Unregistered fire art
- Renegade sound systems (small units for your camp OK!) (read more here)
- Anything that could harm yourself, other attendees, the festival, or the surrounding environment & community
- SHIFT will provide a fuel depot and dip station. If you bring fuel please leave it in the fuel depot where it can be safely managed.
- SHIFT will not be providing safeties; spinners will have to provide that for each other.
- SHIFT will provide duvies, water, and fire extinguishers.
- No fire outside of designated areas; you’ll have space adjacent to the main stage.
- Please check in with the fuel depot before spinning to have your props checked out for safety concerns.