Thanks for your interest in Getting Involved with SHIFT Festival!
Please read all the information below for the available Volunteer departments!
Fire Circle Depot:
Fire Circle Depot volunteers are responsible for running the safety of our nightly Fire Spinning Circle.
Each night we will begin with a noo-burn. Anyone is welcome to come spend the first hour enlightening their soul with fire. We will have three people minimum running at any given moment but as the night progresses we need more safeties.
The mandatory posts to begin each night are:
…fire safety. There may be up to four safeties at one time depending on how many performers we have burning. Will be posted up in the depot tent making sure that performers are responsible and safe with their fire. May be required to put a performers vapor transfer out. Extinguish props of performers leaving the circle. Put out any grass fire the guardian has not made it to.
…fire depot. This is a single person position that will be responsible for helping to fuel props. You will also be required to check to sobriety of performers to make sure that they are not inebriated when performing.
…fire guardian. This positions is that of an active fire performer within the circle. Even though you are performing you will be required to put out any grass fires immediately. Everyone else’s safety comes first just as safety is first and third, never second.
Let’s keep the fire bright all night and into the morning when the sun rises to share its light with us. Come be a part of our amazing crew as we share the light while burning the night.
Our department is responsible and in charge of Flame Art and Flame effects, such as the Tecontic Sign, Volcano Poofers and other event run fire effects. We help restock propane daily and make sure all fire effects are up to standards and have sober and safe people running the effects. Fire Safety training required (we will provide this on site) and sobriety while on shift a requirement as well.
There are two main jobs within this department. Over at Gate, we are the attendees first interaction with the festival. Aiding each individual in the check-in process, ensuring they have been properly admitted so we can send them off worry free into all the debauchery. At Parking we do just that, parking cars in a smart, sensible, organized manner, keeping fire safety and emergencies in mind.
*Vollies must be sober while on shift, able to walk/stand for multiple hours, have a positive attitude, and willing to take direction as well as utilize a decent set of problem solving skills.
Grass Guardians will operate 24 hours a day, working 6 hour shifts. If you are familiar with Forest Guardians at What The Festival!? and Rangers at burner events, this is sort of like a mix of the two. While it is helpful to have prior experience, it is not required because there will be pre-event training(s) and people will be partnered, as much as possible, with someone with experience.
The main overall task of the Grass Guardians is participant safety.
Grass Guardians will:
- Attend a required pre-event training
- Be sober, alert, and rested for their shifts
- Roam the event field in pairs while equipped with radios
- Watch for wristbands
- Monitor the event perimeter
- Talk to participants about fire safety and enforce designated smoking areas
- Answer general event questions and act as an information resource to participants
- Help solve problems
- Respond to emergencies and help get the appropriate resources to the scene
- Help mediate disputes in a non-confrontational and objective manner
- Listen to participants who may be having a particularly rough day
- Wear distinguishable green Grass Guardians shirts
- And so much more!
Are you positive, extroverted, great at concise friendly verbal communication/interactions (in 5 min or less) and giving consensual hugs? Then Greetz is the volunteer job for YOU!
SHIFT greeters are the welcome wagon for the Volcano! Always with an enthusiastic smile, consensual hugs, Greetz interacts with each car filled with distracted and excited festival goers coming from gate. By helping them get lay of the land, positively reminding them to follow the rules of the Volcano and handing out information about SHIFT festival.
Cubez & Info:
- Provide information to festival participants and volunteers, including performance times, daily music lineup, workshops and activities, restroom locations, and just giving out directions!
- Distribute volunteer shirts.
- Relay communication of information to Festival volunteers, rangers, gate/greeters, medical and leads on a Radio.
- MUST like giving out genuine heartfelt hugs and compliments!
- Interact and communicate with participants in selling and slinging bags of ice from trailer to participant’s hands.
LNT: Leave No Trace!
Hello future SHIFTer! Thank you for your interest in the LNT team. In the Burning Man spirit, SHIFT aims to be a true Leave No Trace event by leaving the event site as it was– or better! The LNT team is in charge of keeping the event site looking just as pristine as it was before the festival. This crew works during the event and Post event. This includes engaging with attendees during the event, and staying on site after event close to perform “MOOP sweeps”. Asking attendees questions like “Do you you all know what leave no trace means? Do you know how to line sweep together? Do you know where the Designated Smoking Area is?” as well as “ This is a pack it in-pack it out event and Leave no trace please”
LNT Vollies will:
- Perform Daily event sweeps, which includes walking the roads, checking the music stages, and clearing the surrounding public areas of debris every morning.
- Processing any lost & found, and delivering to Info Booth
- Porto LNT
- Sweeping Designated Smoking Areas
- Roaming the event site and campsites, and talk to participants about LNT
- Post Event LNT and Moop Sweeps to ensure the site is left as good as it was when we found it.
Lifeguard shifts at the pond will be during daytime hours. You will be acting independently and must be self-motivated and alert as you are responsible for the safety of festival participants, keeping a watchful eye out for unsafe behaviors as well as making sure there are no unattended minors in the area.
You will be the superstar of our beach party! You will be a judge for the Annual Rubber Ducky Race and Deflate Contortionist Olympics. You will have your own lifeguard chair, kayak and buoys!
*Must have lifeguard/ first aid certification
*Must be a strong swimmer
*Must be sober throughout your entire shift
*Comfortable long periods in the sun, crowds and nudity
*Have a fun, body positive attitude!
- Our department is split into two main jobs. Fixing and Making Tectonic Art during pre-event work parties and building the Tectonic Structure onsite during Build Weekend. We work very closely with the Werx department and other departments to ensure they have everything they need built ahead of time for their crews to run smoothly.
Like to lift heavy things? Werx is looking for YOU! Werx is the festival infrastructure team. Work comes in four phases…
Loading and Transport, Setup Weekend, Pre-Event Set Up, Event Support, Tear Down.
All four of these stages are critical for SHIFT to run smoothly. We are the hardcore backbone of this event.
Thanks for feeding the all the workers volunteering their time to make this event happen! Together the crew must be able to read the recipe, prep, cook and clean up (including leftovers) a pre-planned meal during their assigned shift. These kitchen shifts will have non-permanent positions within each shift that include preparation, cook, dish and grey water/LNT and maybe a wandering waiter/server to deliver meals to gate, lifeguards and/or other stationary positions that may need food/drink.
Knowing and accessing the readily available snacks like PB & J and fruits as well as maintaining the beverage station with water, Gatorade, and coffee will be required of the crew as well.
- People with kitchen experience are preferred. Must be comfortable with knives and hot flames. You must be sober for your shift. Clothing and safe shoes must be worn in the kitchen.
- We will maintain a bus tub wash, rinse and sanitize area for diners to clean their own eating ware. Our pots and pans will be washed in a separate area.
- Some food prep may be done in Portland, OR and participating may be an option in exchange for a shift. Stay tuned for more details
- The meals will be vegetarian if not vegan. Meat and cheese will be in the kitchen and served separate for those that want to eat it.
Greet and provide information to festival patrons attending Workshops. Support instructors with setup and technical needs. Keep the workshop space neat and tidy. Workshop Host hours are during the festival between the hours of 9am-8pm